Monday, February 14, 2011

It's Alive!

It's Alive!


I have begun the Student Blogging Challenge!  After finishing the Teacher Blogging Challenge, I wanted to take the next step and involve my students in the challenge.  

Background:
I am a technology teacher for a private school in Joliet, Illinois, USA.  I've been teaching Technology since 1999 but have been a first grade classroom teacher 7 years prior to my present position.   I teach Preschool - 8th grade students who are involved in many global activities.  Read my blog for more about global projects.

Target Group:
I have decided to have the 3rd graders embark on the blogging quest with me, simply because they are not involved in a global project and they are very eager to try new things!

Goals:
My goals for this blog, primarily, are to communicate effectively with other classrooms around the world and to give my students an opportunity to show proper communication skills with blogging.

Roadblock:
Not being a classroom teacher presents a challenge.  When reviewing blogs, I didn't see many technology teachers who have one particular blog for their classroom or computer lab.  I don't know if I want to have a blog for each grade.  I do many other projects where I feel I wouldn't give sufficient time to the individual class blogs.  

What am I blogging for?
I'm blogging for my students!  I would like to give all of my students an opportunity to blog - to communicate with other students and classrooms from around the world!  But, I would like the students to have a special section or time of year when it's their turn to blog.

My thoughts - my goals - my hopes - for my students!

11 comments:

  1. Hi Theresa,
    I am a third grade teacher in Southern California in a Lutheran school. My students have become pretty good bloggers and we would be willing to share our blogs with your third graders if that works for you. We are in a one to one classroom so we all have our own Macs (It's a blast!) and love to comment on other blogs! You may visit us at: http://kidblog.org/MrsSurridgesclass/
    We'd love to help your students fall in love with blogging too! Shelly Surridge

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day Theresa,
    My main blog is just for IT classes. I have a separate blog I will be using for History/Geography and another teacher might set up one for Literacy.

    When I had a homegroup where I was teaching all those subjects with the same students, then I had a class blog.

    PS If you want other students to leave comments remember to have Name/URL as an option when they comment. Not everyone has a Google account.

    Miss W. http://sormid67.edublogs.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Theresa,

    Thanks for dropping by my blog.

    Interesting position you've got. If it were me, I wouldn't split into separate grades. It's good for kids to see how older/younger students are using the same technology platform (blog). Lots of learning opportunities that way in terms of literacy, and of course, technology-wise.

    That said, I would also set up appropriate tags per grade, e.g. Grade3 to allow students to filter grade-related posts as required. Just imagine the learning there as well (think: categorisation and filtering).

    Good luck with the rest of the challenge.

    btw, you might be interested on my post on blog rules as we're in a similar position Rules are rules.

    cheers,
    Malyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for the previous post which defaulted to my craft self (ThinkInkCreative). No major issue but there's a lesson right there!

    cheers,
    Malyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. my computer is doing funny things and I've just lost the comment (which I'm apologising for above)....one more go as I'm a persistent girl!

    Thanks for popping by my blog.

    Interesting position you've got. I wouldn't have a blog for each grade. It's good for kids to see how older/younger kids are blogging. Just imagine the learning in terms of literacy, and of course, technology.

    Also, I would create grade tags, e.g. Grade3 just so it's possible to filter grade-appropriate posts as needed. Imagine the learning there too (think: categorisation and filtering).

    Fingers crossed this post will work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...and an invitation to view my post on Activity 2 - Rules are rules

    cheers,
    Malyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Malyn, thank you for your thoughts. I like the idea of tagging when certain grades comment. I will be following your blog for more guidance and possible sharing!

    Miss W, thanks for the reminder about adding the anonymous commenter - forgot! It's now on. (: I will follow your blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Mrs. Allen (:

    My Name Is Destiny From Mr. Miller's Room :)
    So Far Yourr' Posts Are Veryy Good In Myy Opinion I Think You Will Have Ann Awesome, Blog &I Am Hoping To Hear More From You &See Moree Posts ! (:
    Wee Are Hoping To Communicate Withh Yourr Blog Soon :)


    Well I Wishh You Good Luck On Yourr Bloggong Goals Mrs. Allen :)


    Sincerelyy, Your Friend;
    Destiny[from Mr. Miller's Room) :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Mrs. Allen, we are from Mr. Millers class. Wow! Your posts are amazing they are fun and educational.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Mrs.Allen my friends and i are from Mr.Miller's class. These are inteesting post they are also educating. I hope you have a lot of fun with blogging just like us.

    From: Cheyenne,Natalie,and Letty XD

    ReplyDelete